RE: 100 Head

To: <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 100 Head
From: "Jim LeBlanc" <jleblanc@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:12:42 -0600
Ed:

Your comment is most agreeable. Nobody in their right mind wants anything
other than coolant in the coolant and oil in the oil.

When using any and all sealants, one needs to be careful and know that
nothing is entering into a passageway that pollutes oil or coolant. As you
point out any foreign matter is undesirable.

This also goes to cleaning, as cleaning residue impacts passageways and
damages wearing surfaces.

I too have enjoyed the impact of pipe dope and Permatex. Thirty years ago,
this is all we used to have. Permatex hardens over time and upon disassembly
causes flakes and tends to pollute oil and coolant. Pipe dope has never been
attractive as it too hardens with heat and time and enters the coolant
system. Just give these materials enough time and they too become
undesirable to have in your engine.

Just clean a cork valve cover gasket and find little cork shavings inside
the 100-4 valve cover. This stuff too is hard to perfectly remove.

Sealing and taking risk are two factors that go together.

So while I agree, I still search for the perfect means to prevent Healey
seepage.

Best Regards,

Jim LeBlanc
1956 100-M that gives a drop or two from the overdrive every month. That's
all.