Re: Oil filter vertical / horizontal ??

To: "Bob Johnson" <robert.w.johnson@charter.net>
Subject: Re: Oil filter vertical / horizontal ??
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 17:08:48 +0800
Bob -

When oil filters are mounted facing up, this is because the
manufacturer has installed a pipe on the filter mount which prevents
drain back when the engine is off.

It is most desirable to have the filter mounted facing down (i.e. with
filter mount at the top) as this is the most natural way to prevent
drainback.  In addition, it has the added advantage of making sure
heavy particulates settle in the crown of the filter.

Hope that helps!

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

--