RE: Exhaust question

To: "'Achim Spethmann'" <hspethmann@t-online.de>,
Subject: RE: Exhaust question
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 19:51:36 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Achim Spethmann
Sent: 02 June 2006 12:28
To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust question

Just back from a trip to South England with some bad experience about
the english weather and the height of the ferry ramps.

When entering the ferry, my car hit the floor with the rear silencers
and they were ripped off and seriously dented. I put it in the trunk and
drove home with what was left under the car.

 With my car being a BJ8 MKIII I have an exhaust system with front and
rear silencers and a very moderate sound and I was always jealous of
hearing the Healeys with a straight exhaust system and only two front
silencers.

Now I'm thinking of fixing the exhaust system by adding two stright
pipes at the rear end instead of the two silencers, but I'm not sure, if
it could do any harm to the engine. Normaly the exhaust system is
adjusted to the engine and perhaps the engine needs a certain counter
pressure to work properly. This counterpressure my not be guaranteed by
the remaining two front silencers of the four silencer system.

Is there any experience about this matter?

Achim, Germany
1964 BJ8

Achim,
Sorry you were unlucky with the weather. Those ramps can be tricky, you need
to go ridiculously slow or, sometimes, insist on going on the same level as
the trucks...they usually drive straight on, rather than up to an elevated
level. Was on a ferry early this morning, so know what you mean.
I have a BT7 with just the one silencer. Originally two down pipes into one
fat silencer and two long pipes out to the rear. I got rid of the twin rear
pipes and had a local guy make me up a pair that mount onto the rear of the
silencer and then make a turn for a side exit. Uses the original mountings
etcetc. I can remount the long pipes if I want. Saves a lot of grounding
issues and sounds good too, particularly with the new 6 branch big bore
system. Mind you, I did rip the old system clean off the car, but it was on
the flat and any system would have gone.
Simon.