RE: Jacking the Healey

To: "'Bob Spidell'" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: Jacking the Healey
From: John Sims <ahbn6@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:52:36 -0400
Actually, jacking the healey up enough to place Jack stands under it is a
multi-part process.

If you jack the front too high, you can NOT get a floor jack under the
differential.

My process is to raise each front wheel independently and install a jack
stand at the lowest setting placing each under the spring seats. Then I run
the floor jack under the pumpkin and raise the car and place a second set of
jack stands under the rear spring plate.

Then, I go back to the front, place a 2X4 cut to equal the distance of the
front frame cross member between the two front wheels on the saddle of the
floor jack and raise the car up as high as I need, adjust the front floor
jacks to two stops from the top, and lower the front 2x4 assembly onto the
floor jacks which means that the sequence is floor jacks, 2x4 and frame
cross member.

I then go back to the rear and jack up the rear using the floor jack under
the pumpkin, raise the rear and adjust those jack stands.

I have pictures for those interested. By using this process, the front
suspension is free to work on and the real brake assembly is also clear. I
get enough clearance under the car to have a great deal of freedom of
movement.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com