Re: Windshield Sealing

To: Dan Serrao <jobu1950@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Windshield Sealing
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 08:50:58 -0700
Dan,

I did this job recently after having the windshield parts re chromed.

Tips:

1. Check the frame channel where the bottom weather strip gets forced into to
make the ribs have not been deformed in any way. It was necessary to slide an
modified washer (ground down sides) through the channel on mine to "fix" a few
areas that were too tight i.e. used a punch and hammer to force the modified
washer through the tight areas.

2. I reused the rectangular profile rubber strips that fit into the channels as
the Moss parts seemed too thick when trial fitting the parts.

3. Trial fit all the chrome frame pieces with corner brackets and screws to
make sure everything is oriented properly.

4. Use lots of towels and clean surface area to protect the chrome and glass

5. Have 4 nylon straps on hand to help hold the assembly together as you put on
the corner brackets (I guess having extra hands would be good but I did this
job on my own)

6. I started with the bottom seal, spraying the rubber with Aerospace 303
protectant as a lubricant. Working from the middle, used a dull screwdriver to
force the seal in place (I tried wood and plastic tools first but found I
needed a rigid tool)

7. At the ends where the windshield channel curves and the channel was still
tight the rubber did not want to fit into the channel. I carefully trimmed a
little rubber off the sides of the T shape with a single sided razor blade
until the rubber would force fit into the channel.

8. Install the rectangular profile strips leaving enough room at the corners
for the brackets. Mine fit tight but you may need to use a little contact
cement to hold the strips to the frame.

9. Cut the U shaped trim that fits on the windshield glass with 45 degree
corners. You need to be careful to mark and cut the trim carefully to get a
good corner. Better to leave too much material that will compress a bit in the
corners to fill any gaps. I then used a small amount of super glue on the trim
in the corners to temporarily hold the rubber for assembly.

10. Slide everything together, hold with the straps and attach the corner
brackets. Mine went together pretty easy. For the last two corners I did use an
awl to line up the brackets with the tapped hole to get the first screw in.
Once it was all assembled I use the razor blade to cut the bottom seal along
the red line as indicated in the following photo.
http://www.loftusdesign.net/bottom_seal_cut

Cheers,
John