Re: Fender Installs

To: Bob Yule <autofarm@cyg.net>, dean <dht3000@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Fender Installs
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 11:18:52 -0700
I discovered something interesting about front fender installation when I
dismantled my BJ8 (very late car) for restoration:  the 3rd bolt (from the
front) - the one that is almost impossible to get to was installed
'backwards' - ie: spring nut on the shroud and bolt threaded from the
wheelarch.

At the time, I was reasonably certain that the drivers side of the car was
as original from the factory - a bit less certain about the passenger side.
So I concluded that the factory guys finally got smart and made it easy -
either that or they ran out of 'deformed midgets', or maybe got caught
breaking arms!

In any case, to my mind it's an excellent solution - makes that part of the
job much easier.  Try it, you'll like it.

When I did the BT7, I wound up removing the air hose on the heater blower
side - should have dropped the housing with hose attatched as Bob suggested,
it would have been a lot easier.  Getting the hose back in place with the
fender installed produced a lot of bad language and required a lot of beer.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8