Re: In the eye of the beholder

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: In the eye of the beholder
From: healeyguy@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:26:01 -0400
 Well gentlemen and the few ladies out there, I look at this artistic endeavor
as a time capsule. If you think of the areas of the body that have been
modified as rust holes, ie: bubble flairs behind the front wheels equating to
the normal rust repair necessary on the lower fender; frenched tail lights
equal to a bad dogleg; door handle repair better than reskinning the door; and
I normally end up changing out the bonnet, deck lid and interior stuff (how do
you like the add-on headrests to a stock Healey seats?) anyway, this car has a
lot going for it. Not $30k worth but consider that the car was stored for all
those years and it rolls out on old bias ply tires. Maybe it was stored in a
dry area and rust isn't to bad. (wishful thinking for a Healey). If it was
stored in the wet the bondo would be popping off all over the place.  After all
the car wasn't too old when the modifications where done. I guess we are
spoiled in the tropics, having to start our restorations with a l!
 ot less than straight, rust free Arizona bodies. By the way you have to
appreciate that paint job. Just don't see that everyday!
Aloha
Perry

Skip,
A real project car that is mostly complete would be worth more than a couple
of thousand.  A running project should fetch between 10 - 15K if it was a
complete car.  However, I personally don't consider this a project.  Unless
you really love the styling (there may be Someone...) this is now a parts
car.  It would be extremely difficult to return any of the body panels back
to original, even without looking for the normal rust areas.  The drive
train and suspension may be original and maybe the dash, but little else in
the interior.  Simply put the PO destroyed all of the most costly parts of
the car and only the mechanicals are left to be sorted out for spares.  I
may get flamed, but I would no longer consider this a Healey and certainly
wouldn't pay a Healey price for the car.
Just my $.02 so flame away
Pete

I made a "best offer" of $50.... (maybe I could find $50 worth of parts
off it?)...

Anyway, it was rejected.   "we are not accepting any offers under
$10000.00 after all... it is a healey! thanks for your interest!"

I'd consider this a "project car"... but they don't show any of the
critical rust areas, so it probably has bad rust..... Plus, all the body
panels need to be replaced or refurbished...

Anyone believe a project car is worth more than $2-3k????

-skip-
All on demand. Always Free.