rookie question

To: "Jim Parish" <jimp@parishpartners.com>
Subject: rookie question
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 15:10:22 -0500
Jim,
I agree, if your failure is instant with no sputtering the problem is
more likely electrical than poor fuel delivery.  One thing to check
would be the battery master switch in the trunk.  These switches
tend to fail with time mainly, I believe, because their location at the
very rear of the car subjects them to vibration and shock they are
not built to handle.  I have one customer whose switch cuts off in the
fully ON position, but if you twist it just slightly towards OFF it works
fine.  The easiest way to test for this is just to bypass the switch, and
run the battery ground cable directly to the bumper mount bracket.
Another way to check switch function is to turn the key to "on" and
watch the ignition light while you twist the switch knob.  The ignition
light should remain on and constant unless the knob is turned fully
clockwise to the OFF position.  If you see the light go off when you
try to go counter-clockwise beyond ON, or anywhere before it clicks
into OFF, then you have a cutoff switch malfunction which would result
in the symptoms you describe.  Should your battery switch check out
OK the next thing I'd look at is the ignition switch, which you can check
by using a jumper lead to connect the brown wire to the white wires.
This is easiest and most safely done with the shifter surround removed
and the switch dismounted from the dash, so you don't risk contact
with other wires or metal parts.
Doug, 18G