Rear hub studs and nuts

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear hub studs and nuts
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:14:06 -0700
Hello, Healeyphiles -

Since the workshop manual does not specify a torque for the wire wheel rear
hub splined adapter nuts, this information might be helpful:

I just replaced the studs in the left rear wheel of my BJ8.  I took the old
studs to the Materials Lab where I work, and they tested them for hardness.
The result was Rockwell C32 - C33, which corresponds to a Grade 8 bolt.  The
standard torque tables for 7/16 - 20 Grade 8 Bolts gives 78 lb-ft (105.75
meeton-newters, for the metric crowd) as the recommended maximum torque.  I
have torqued mine to 70 lb-ft.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666