intro, BN2 manuals, timing

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: intro, BN2 manuals, timing
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:45:21 -0700
Hi, I'm new to this list, though not new to LBCs or team.net. I'm
helping a retired friend get his BN2 back on the road after 7 or so
years off. Myself, I have a TR4 daily driver and a second TR4 I'm
finishing to look like the factory rally cars. Since I drive my TR4
about 8000 miles a year, I've had a chance to fix or replace just about
everything on the car since I bought it in 2000. Most of the parts on
Bill's big Healey look familiar, at least. Biographically, I just hit 40
and have a couple boys still young enough to ride in the bench seat, and
after an early career in technology I run a high-tech science center at
my local elementary school.

So yesterday the big Healey fired and idled nicely, after a little
careful preparation over a couple weekends. It's a nice survivor and has
been stored dry and clean, My friend is looking forward to learning how
to maintain his car too. Which brings me to my questions.

1. Bill has a 100/6 manual, for some reason, but nothing right for his
100/4. Which manuals should we have? I was thinking of the CD-ROM from
Moss for $30 -- what else?
2. I'll do valves, points, timing, and carbs next. Actually, I'll
probably bleed the brakes and let Bill run slowly up and down his street
a couple times. Then we'll get to work. Absent a manual, I dug around on
the web yesterday but didn't find any practical FAQs with titles like
"How to set the timing on Bill's BN2 in five minutes or less." Are there
many how-to sites for big Healeys, or should I just ask you guys all my
newbie questions?
3. How do I set the timing? :) I set my TR4 statically, BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2