Re: intro, BN2 manuals, timing

To: "Steven Newell" <steven@newellboys.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: intro, BN2 manuals, timing
From: "Bluechipracing" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:30:24 -0500
  Hi Steven:   Welcome to the world of Healeys.  You and Bill need to get
the factory service manual.  CD or paper...Your preference.  Printed  Repros
are available from several sources for less than $50.  Originals show up on
ebay now and then.

  On the BN2, Static timing is 6 degrees before TDC.  There is a notch on
the rim of the front pulley and an arrow stamped into the timing chain
cover.  These line up at TDC.  Clean them and mark with a crayon or paint.
I set mine with a Sears timing light with the dial.  I usually set the high
end at about 33 degrees, and at a slow idle it comes back to about 6.
Setting statically will take a little more than 5 minutes, but with the
timing light, less than 5 minutes unless there's a problem.  There's a
vernier adjustment on the distributor, so if you are lucky, you won't have
to loosen the clamp.

  There are lots of Austin-Healey sites online.  a google search will get
you several, and each one of them will link you to more.

  Jim Smith
  East Hampton, CT
  BN1
  BN2