Fuel pump problems persisting

To: "'Healeys@Autox. Team. Net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel pump problems persisting
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:49:58 +0100
Hi,

Thank you all, especially those who bothered to write with specific
suggestions.

However, nothing has changed...the pump simply clicks nicely enough but
doesn't deliver a drop of fuel.

I have checked the valves' positions, sealing washers etcetc until I am blue
in the face.

I have even tried swapping the valves' postions (Their tongues being upside
or downside).

I have checked the points (99% new).

I have checked the throw over.

I have fitted new red washers (2 per outlet & 2 per inlet).

I have checked the electrical connections.

None of this makes any difference.

The pump's electrics seem very healthy and robust and the plunger plunges
seemingly as I'd expect.

Just now I tried priming the system by forcing petrol out of tank up
to/into/through the pump. (With air pressure from a small hand pump). I did
indeed get fuel into the pump and through it to the engine. But the pump
wouldn't lift a drop, so, when I took the pressure off the tank, the engine
stopped when the 3 bowls ran dry.

So, healthy clicking and no fuel..

It's tempting to say "air leak on the inlet side), but I don't think so:-

1)       There wasn't a leak before and all I've done is swap pump bodies.
Why should there be a leak now? Poltergeist?

2)       Fuel would have come out of the leak site when I pressurized the
tank?? It didn't.

I need someone to give me a BGO ("Blinding Glimpse of the Obvious" as we
used to say in the military). I'd guess that I've missed something small and
stupid, but I'm dammed if I can find it....

Thanks, hopefully,

Simon.