RE: Opinons requested.....BJ7 engine rebuild upgrades

To: "'Steve Thomton'" <scthomton@yahoo.com>, "'List Healey'"
Subject: RE: Opinons requested.....BJ7 engine rebuild upgrades
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 16:03:31 +0100
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@Autox.Team.Net [mailto:owner-healeys@Autox.Team.Net] On
Behalf Of Steve Thomton
Sent: 10 June 2007 14:53
To: List Healey
Cc: Steve Thomton

I'm requesting opinions from those who know, or who care to comment (please
no flaming on the departure from stock.....you know Donald would have
changed lots of stuff by now)........  I'm planning on an engine rebuild in
the near future and would like to make sure I include the appropriate
upgrades....originality is not the issue.

  With the goal of having a 100K mile MECHANICALLY reliable engine (okay
maybe that's a stretch), here's the upgrade scenario I'm considering for my
3 liter BJ7:
  1- BJ8 cam...... regrind by Elgin
  2- Rear crankshaft seal conversion... from Moss or DWM .
opinions/experience appreciated
  3- Upgraded harmonic crank balancer......from Moss
  4- Upgraded oil pump .... from DWM  ENG672M
  5- Upgraded timing chain tensioner...from DWM  CENG650N4
  6- ARP bolts for main/rod/head .....
  7- Valves/seals for unleaded gas, also bronze valve guides..
  8- Spin on oil filter conversion
  9- Mini starter
  10- Flywheel lightened and balanced

  So thoughts on whether or not these are the best upgrades?  Am I missing
some?

  The carburetors and distributor are not in question....I've got my EFI
system running well.

  Thanks in advance for your consideration and input.

  Steve Thomton
  BJ7

I don't know what your prices are like over there, but the general drift of
opinion over here in UK is that Denis Welch engine bits are very good.
Absolutely not the cheapest and some of his stuff requires a lot of (extra?)
work to get it on/in. But, best value for money? Proabableeeeeeeee? (Who can
say for sure?)
AH Spares is doing a lot of good new stuff these days. Look at both
websites.....
I suspect the exchange rate is a bit of a bummer right now, but - if you do
it all in one hit from one supplier - the shipping won't be too big a
percentage and the (extra?) cost will only hurt once.

I've a Denis Welch fast road cam and I like it very much. It's reputedly
just a bit up from the BJ8 unit.

Simom