Re: [Healeys] BJ8 exhaust questions ...

To: <rnbmail@yahoo.com>, "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 exhaust questions ...
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 08:00:17 -0400
H Robert,
My first Healey was a '64 MkIII and they have the worst of both worlds when
it comes to exhaust systems. The car doesn't have the raised rear suspension
and it uses the mufflers and 2 resonators of the BJ8 as described here
http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/?p=382
After struggling with the original system for a short while I ended up
wearing through the rear resonators. I tried an Ansa side exit system for a
time but found that on a long trip the noise gave me really bad headaches
which resulted in my being reluctant to use the car very much.
Eventually I reinstalled the original front mufflers and cut the rear pipes
just before the bend at the back and installed a couple of pieces of exhaust
pipe, each with a bend to raise the tips as much as possible, which exited
in the same position at the BJ7 system. As I recall the rear pipes were 1
3/4" diameter.
No more headaches, a little noisier, still had the great sound.

Michael Salter
100 (1953) #174
AHX12 (1953)
Bugeye (1961)