Re: [Healeys] tires

To: TERRY COLL <coll44@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] tires
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 07:34:45 +0100
Tubeless tires should not be fitted with tubes, as the tubes may fail =

through friction. This friction may also raise the temperature  which =

may lead to tube failure but it is probably not enough to cause initial =

tire failure.
Tubes do not make the tire walls stiffer as tubes are rather supple and =

they do not contribute significantly to the stiffness of the tire or =

alteration of the handling.
In case of an accident you may expect insurance issues if one of the =

tires fails.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

TERRY COLL schreef:

>  =

> All,
>  =

> I bought Kumho Power Star 758 tires (165-80R-15) for my Healey a =

> couple of months ago but have not yet installed them.  I =

> never considered tube vs tubeless tires and do not recall it being =

> discussed in this forum.  So today I just finished reading the April =

> Popular Mechanics and in it Mike Allen (auto columnist) strongly warns =

> about putting tubes in tubeless tires:
>  =

> 1.  tubeless tires are ribbed inside and not finished to accept a tube =

> which can wear out the tube
> 2.  tube will stiffin the sidewall of the tire giving a poor ride and =

> altering handling characteristics
> 3.  tubeless tire with a tube will run hotter and potentially fail.
>  =

> So down to the garage I went and found out that yes, the tires =

> are tubeless.  Anyway, I'm thinking of calling Tire Rack and see if =

> they'll take them back.  Any thoughts?
>  =

> Terry Coll
> '64 BJ8 (with 60 spoke wire wheels)
>

> Windows Live=99 Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups =

> to meet. Check it out. =

> <http://windowslive.com/online/groups?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_groups_032009>
>
> Windows Live=99 Contacts: Organize your contact list. Check it out. =

> <http://windowslive.com/connect/post/marcusatmicrosoft.spaces.live.com-Bl=
og-cns%21503D1D86EBB2B53C%212285.entry?ocid=3DTXT_TAGLM_WL_UGC_Contacts_032=
009> =