Re: [Healeys] Syncro

To: "PG" <britishcars@shaw.ca>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Syncro
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 14:52:40 -0400
Paul,

The first point is to having everything already lined up, all 3 sets of
splines down in the o/d unit. Since one of these is the unidirectional
clutch spline, of course it can only turn one way. If you don't have an old
spare output shaft from another gearbox use a long thin screwdriver to line
up the splines.
Second point is to apply some rather thick clean bearing or chassis grease
to the spline where the pump cam will sit. Slide the cam into place and the
grease should hold it there while you guide the gearbox down into the o/d
unit. Make sure you have the gearbox in 4th gear so you can gently turn the
input shaft to start the splines.
Once all the splines are engaged you should have the adaptor plate close
enough to the o'd unit to start the two nuts onto the long o/d studs. At
this point there shoud still be about 5/8" gap between the mounting flanges,
enough to get a long thin screwdriver in through the opening and ease the
o/d pump plunger wheel onto the heel of the cam surface.
With that accomplished the unit can be drawn carefully and evenly together.
If you feel undue resistance, stop and make sure things can turn. If
everything's too tight, you have likely not engaged one of the thrust washer
splines correctly. back out and try again.

Rich Chrysler
> MY QUESTION
> While we all have the jobs we hate, I have one that I am once again faced
> with..mating the transmission with the overdrive.
> Below is what I do and I'm looking for an easier way.

 1. Place the overdrive in a vertical position with mating surface
> facing up..
> 2. I then place the cam on the thrust bearing inside the overdrive so
> that the heal is against the roller on the piston;
> 3. I then lift the transmission manually and lower it onto the
> overdrive so that the output shaft goes through the cam and into the
> splines
> in the overdrive;
> 4. inevitably, the cam moves or the splines don't line up such that it
> takes me numerous times to get the things to mate...this is where the
> aforementioned explicatives some in;
>
>Anybody have and easier methond??

Paul