[Healeys] Syncro

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Syncro
From: "PG" <britishcars@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 09:29:25 -0700
OK.I'm resigned to replacing the 2nd gear syncro with a brass one.

The general feedback is that the brass and steel are not interchangeable and
that the steel syncros were used in BJ8 only.  The box being rebuilt is
actually an early BJ8 that came with brass rings so it must have been an
early model..(trans is from a donor car).

MY QUESTION

While we all have the jobs we hate, I have one that I am once again faced
with..mating the transmission with the overdrive.  For me, trying to get the
splines and the oil pump cam to all line up is a b*** and usually results in
extremely creative and original strings of explicative's that would require
a PHD in linguistics to interpret..my wife and kids give me a wide berth
when this job is being done.

Below is what I do and I'm looking for an easier way.

1.      Place the overdrive in a vertical position with mating surface
facing up..
2.      I then place the cam on the thrust bearing inside the overdrive so
that the heal is against the roller on the piston;
3.      I then lift the transmission manually and lower it onto the
overdrive so that the output shaft goes through the cam and into the splines
in the overdrive;
4.      inevitably, the cam moves or the splines don't line up such that it
takes me numerous times to get the things to mate...this is where the
aforementioned explicatives some in;

Anybody have and easier methond??

Paul