Re: [Healeys] No Power

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] No Power
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 20:23:06 -0700
re:
"I think SU pumps have a bad wrap"

Not necessarily.  IMO, the problem with SU pumps is they use points to switch
the current.  When the points open the induced magnetic field in the coil
collapses producing a back current which arcs across the points (similar to
what
happens in an ignition coil).  This arcing transfers metal with each
occurrence,
and also produces ozone which exacerbates the arcing (that's why the electronic
end of the pump is vented).  Eventually, the gap changes and/or the points
stick
and the pump becomes intermittent or fails outright.  The arcing is why SU
pumps
went from nothing, to a capacitor to a diode (called a 'flywheel diode') across
the points to reduce the arcing.  The final cure is a fully electronic pump,
with a Hall Effect and transistor-switched design (which solved my pump
problems--I've never had a contamination problem).

Also, the diaphragm can get stiff from age and non-use.

Bob