Re: [Healeys] thermostat discussion

To: "F Ronald Rader" <f.ronald.rader@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] thermostat discussion
From: "John & Kerry Rowe" <jkrowe46@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 16:18:37 +1000
I run a 160 deg thermostat (obtained from the Nocks) in the 3000 BT7.  In
Qld Australia temps,the car runs between 160-165 degs all the time
(admittedly with a modern core in the radiator)
Being of the sleeved type which covers or uncovers the bypass as required I
know it is diverting the water where it is supposed to go through the motor
and not bypassing the rear of the engine. On a steep climb the temp might
rise to 170-175 but soon comes back. At least at this temperature you have a
few degrees up your sleeve, like about 40 deg before you start panicking.
This is with the standard fan blades (4) although I have the backup of an
electric fan (manually switched) should it be required. When i turn the
engine off, the temperature rarely goes above 190deg which manages to retain
coolant in the radiator and not on the ground
Surprisingly this cooler running makes the cockpit temperatures very
bearable without all the aftermarket insulation.
Should the modern sleeved thermostat fail, they will do so in the open
position, unlike the original bellows which shut off
Ron, I think those at the shop are wrong also
Just my 20 cents worth
John Rowe
Qld Australia
Bn1 Bt7