Re: [Healeys] thermostat discussion

To: BJ8 Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] thermostat discussion
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:10:52 +0200
Steve,
The total flow of coolant is more or less the same at a given engine
speed. At all times all the coolant is passed through the engine.When
the engine is cold most coolant will be circulated through the by-pass
and only a trickle through the radiator. At the opening temperature of
the thermostat more coolant will start to flow through the radiator and
less through the by-pass. When the coolant gets hotter the thermostat
will open further allowing more coolant to flow through the radiator and
even less through the bypass. However if all is in good nick the
thermostat will never open fully except possibly when idling for a long
period, when it is not unusual for the coolant temperature to rise above
normal or even over boiling point. That is why ideally you should  fit a
thermostaticly controlled electric fan to the radiator if you are
traveling in modern traffic(jams).
Kees Oudesluijs
NL