Re: [Healeys] thermostat discussion

To: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] thermostat discussion
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:02:46 -0700
re:
"It is not particularly a good thing that the engine is running cooler. The
higher the operating temperature the higher the efficiency of the engine. Also
less carbon build up in the cilinder head."

Plus, an engine needs to run hot enough to "boil" combustion byproducts--esp.
water--out of the oil, else nasty acidic compounds will form (faster).

I was researching thermostats online and apparently, 195degF is considered
'standard' for a Big Healey (makes sense for a car in England).

bs