Re: [Healeys] Girling brake boost ratio

To: <drmasucci@comcast.net>, "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Girling brake boost ratio
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:14:47 -0700
David:

Just went through all of this when re-boostering several local BJ8's.  We
decided on PBR (Australian) boosters.  They are (or were) made in a couple
of vacuum chamber sizes, and 3 or 4 body bore sizes to match them to
whatever braking system the car has.

For instance, on Healeys there is a different recommended booster for the
BJ7 (and BN7 / BT7) and the BJ8, just as the original Girlings were
different - boosters are sized according to calliper (wheel cyl.) size,
master cyl. bore size, etc.

I was advised by the supplier that the original BJ8 Girling boost ratio was
3:81.  We chose a PBR VH40 booster that has an appropriately sized vacuum
canister and has a boost ratio of 3:25.  The cars already switched over feel
very close to the original boost - excellent braking feel.  The use of DOT 5
silicone brake fluid, which everyone around here seems to use, will slightly
affect the braking feel on any booster. We are very happy with these
boosters - Kilmartin in Australia even supplied mounting brackets for them
so that they bolted right up to the cars, (with 2 new brake pipes being bent
to connect to the hydraulic system).  The booster even has a bleed screw on
it's body, which is really nice for bleeding.

Your boost ratio of 3:00 shouldn't feel much different, and you probably
saved a lot of $$$.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb