Re: [Healeys] Girling brake boost ratio

To: Warthodson@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Girling brake boost ratio
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 21:40:14 -0700
Vacuum is applied to both sides of the vacuum piston when brakes aren't
applied;
when the brakes are applied atmospheric air is applied to the 'top' of the
piston.  The difference between the vacuum and atmospheric pressures, and the
large size of the vacuum piston compared to the smaller size of the servo
hydraulic piston is what supplies the boost.

So, the difference between the vacuum pressure (something less than
atmospheric)
and atmospheric pressure affect the boost (compared to the vacuum, the 'top' of
the vacuum piston is effectively pressurized when the brakes are applied).

FWIW, 'standard' atmospheric pressure is 29.92 inches of mercury.  A 'vacuum'
of
20 inches means there's 9.92 inches of pressure (it's only a 'vacuum' in
relative terms).  Less vacuum means atmospheric pressure is less effective in
pushing the piston.  Servos don't work as well with really 'hot' cams (lots of
valve overlap--less vacuum).

bs