Re: [Healeys] Dave Dougan's overdrive part 2

To: Dave Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dave Dougan's overdrive part 2
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:54:25 -0800
Fair enough; however, I refuse to believe any but the heaviest particles
settle immediately to the bottom--non-detergent oil  or not--while a
gearbox is operating.  I can imagine the oil being furiously stirred and
slung at high speeds--I doubt a steel marble would settle while running
but, sure, while the car is sitting heavier crud will settle.  Plenty of
damage could be done before any particles get a chance to settle;
detergent oil or not.   Like I said, the heavier ferrous particles end
up on the screen or magnets.

AFAIK, ashless dispersant (detergent) oils were formulated to clean out
or suspend light combustion byproducts; i.e. carbon, etc. ('ashes').  I
doubt it'll keep heavy particulates in suspension any better than
non-detergent.  Any tribologists on the List that can address this issue?

This site is interesting (can't vouch for its veracity):

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#How%20Sludge%20is%20Prevented

bs