Re: [Healeys] Innertube Question

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Innertube Question
From: "Fred Crowley" <fredcrowley@teamhealeytexas.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:36:23 -0600
No argument about replacing inner tubes. However, on my vintage racing Healey
3000, I have always re-used the inner tubes. I use Michelin inner tubes that I
order on line. However there a few things that  help prolong the life. First,
most tires these days come with small stickers partially embedded in the
rubber on the inside of the tire (inspected by #9). These must be removed. I
have found out first-hand, that as the tire and tube warm up, the tube will
abrade against the sticker(s) and eventually the tube will fail. Secondly, I
drill out my rims so that I can insert a plastic valve stem sleeve in the rim.
This protects the tube's valve stem. Thirdly, make sure there is absolutely no
debris inside the tire prior to mounting. Knock on wood, I haven't had any
flats in over a decade as a result of an inner tube failure, even racing here
in 100 degree+ Texas weather. Also, an obvious point point, make sure with
tube mounting (new or used), that the mounted tube is inflated/deflated a at
least 3 cycles to ensure that there are no folds or wrinkles in the tube. Most
tube sizes made for our wheels cover a variety of tire sizes, so you need to
take care.

In my area, I've been going to a Discount Tire for close to 20 years to get my
tubes & tires mounted. The place I use has a couple of techs that have been
trained by Dayton including mounting on wire wheels. As with most Healey
things I don't do myself, I watch the work pretty closely. D.T. seems to have
no trouble with balancing as long as they use a tapered fitting on the front
and the back of the rim. Watch the tech closely to make sure he gets the rim
centered properly. No vibrations on my racecar up through 130mph.

My $0.02 and worth every penny.

Cheers,
Fred
Team Healey Texas