Re: [Healeys] Stripes/Racing stripes??????????

To: Jackson Krall <jackson_krall@yahoo.com>, AUSTIN HEALEY CLUB
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Stripes/Racing stripes??????????
From: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 05:45:19 -0800 (PST)
Jackson wins the prize - at least according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_stripe

The original racing stripes were stripes applied to the Cunningham team of
racing cars[1] to identify them in the field during races. Another purpose is
to make it easier for a driver to align a spun out car with the circuit.

The first racing stripes were applied to high-performance prototype automobiles
built as racecarsby Briggs Cunningham and placed into competition as his
motorsport team, beginning in 1951.[citation needed] Cunningham racecars
usually carried two parallel blue stripes running from front to rear in the
center of the white body so that spectators could identify the team's
automobiles readily during races. The stripes often were called "Le Mans
stripes" because of the repeated efforts of Cunningham to win the 24 Hours of
Le Mans in France, where the French had a great affection for him. His
tradition was soon adopted by other racing teams in many venues. Thereafter,
the use of racing stripes soon became common in the 1960s and early 70s for
both race and road cars.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Carlos