Re: [Healeys] Healey with seatbelts after accident

To: <healeydoc@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey with seatbelts after accident
From: "Ray Carbone" <racarbon@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 20:45:19 -0400
Hi Dave,

I viewed the accident pics and am very surprised the occupants are not dead.
I was told that 3-point seat belts were less safe than lap belts when there is
no headrest.

Additionally, in 1962 I was coming out of the Holland Tunnel from Manhattan
and I came across an MGA that had gone through a red light as 19-wheeler began
through the intersection.  Needless to say, the MGA wound up under the trailer
with the box resting across a flattened windscreen.  When the fire department
responded, they jacked the trailer and, to the astonishment of all, the driver
popped the door and crawled free.

At that time, lap belts were uncommon and 3-point belts where rare if at all
available.  My conclusion; if the MGA driver had a 3-point belt he would have
been dead as laying across the seats would not have been an option.  Although
I am open to 3-point belts now (still concerned about the lack of headrests),
with the size of SUVs and other truck-like vehicles commonly found on today's
roads, I remain unsure that they are a good idea.

Ray Carbone 64BJ8P1
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html