Re: [Healeys] Healey with seatbelts after accident

To: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <cnaarndt@gmail.com>, "Chris Dimmock"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healey with seatbelts after accident
From: "Ray Carbone" <racarbon@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 03:02:49 -0400
Although my comment was give as a request for further information, I really
didn't expect the sarcasm unleashed.

As an ex SCCA driver who has rolled over in the early 60s and was saved by a
roll bar, helmet, and 5-point belts, I am well aware of the benefits provided
by seat belts since I originally installed them on my 1958 Pontiac Bonneville
convertible.

As for laying across the seat; when in a desperate situation the tendency is
to step on the brakes and, with that action, the 3-point retractable belts
will lock and, as designed, restrain almost all movement.

To the point of not having a head rest; It has been my understanding that the
whiplash caused by a 3-point belt, where a head rest is not present, can be
extremely devastating and, in this case, a lap belt was recommended as a
better choice.

As with all things, new research may prove my understandings wrong.  My post
was meant to update my perceptions from the experiences of the list.

Sorry to have posted.

Ray 64BJ8P1