Re: [Healeys] BN1/2 Boot Floor Holes

To: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1/2 Boot Floor Holes
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 06:57:39 -0700
On a BN2 the fuel lines are also retained by the 'hairpin' style clips, though
they're slightly different than the brake
line clips.  BCS is the only place I know of that has the correct fuel line
clips (the Moss ones are too flimsy last I
tried them).  The brake line clips run front-to-back on the passenger side
(LHD) , and the fuel line clips are on the
driver side.  In both cases the holes are usually a half-inch to an inch from
the bottom of the frame rails.  For both,
the holes should be a clean, smooth drill hole, about a quarter-inch in
diameter.

The wire harness clips have holes along the bottom of the frame rail along the
driver side.  The holes are for sheet
metal screws and if you scrape the paint off and look very closely you
sometimes see where the threads were cut.

The '750-mile' BN2 that has generated so much, uh, interest on the List has
some photos of a BN2 underside that might
help.  As far as I can tell, with my layman's knowledge, the lines and harness
are in the correct places.

I don't think it would be possible to seal up the chassis frame rails
completely.  Your best bet is to fog some rust
preventative inside (I've used LPS3; Waxoyl might work too).  Some of the old
tube-and-fabric aircraft like the Piper
Cub had linseed oil inside the frame tubes for corrosion prevention.

Later cars, like my BJ8, had about a half-dozen holes about 3/8" diameter at
various places on the chassis rails.  These
were probably tooling/jig holes and were plugged with rubber plugs.   They're
just large enough to get the nozzle of an
undercoating gun through, which I use to fog LPS3 inside the rails.

The holes in the boot are probably tooling holes (thanks to all who responded).
 If my car had them I'd probably try to
plug them with rubber plugs like on the BJ8 chassis (Moss carries those, now,
and Steele Rubber has all sizes and shapes
of plugs).

Bob

--
Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net