Re: [Healeys] Ruff running, bucking car

To: rnbmail@yahoo.com, healeys@autox.team.net, thehealeyguy@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ruff running, bucking car
From: warthodson@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 16:07:54 -0500 (EST)
This discussion is very interesting to me because a friend had almost exactly
the same problem on a newly restored, no corners cut, BJ7. The car is stock
except that the engine was rebuilt to BJ8 specifications including the cam &
carbs. The engine does not ping on premium fuel. We believe the compression is
under 10:1.
His car would run great when it was cold & even when warmed up, but if he
stopped for a few minutes (like at a gas station or convenience store) it
restarted fine but would run rough & buck so bad it was almost undriveable.
The water temp. was only 180 degrees & this was verified with a thermometer. I
know what this sounds like, but wait. The fuel line is in the stock location.
The carb spacers & head shield are all installed as original. The car does not
have a header. We double checked the timing, readjusted the carbs, retorqued
the head, checked the valve adjustment, checked for air leaks, electrical
wiring issues, did a compression test & a leak down test, etc. Over a period
of time we replaced (one at a time) the spark plugs, the fuel pump, the coil,
the distributor cap, ignition wires, the Pertronics, the entire distributor,
the carbs with another set of recently rebuild carbs & a different intake
manifold. None of which improved the situation. After we ran out of ideas, the
car went to a shop where it spent almost two months. The shop eventually
replaced the stock BJ8 needles with the rich BJ8 needles & the problem seems
to have improved slightly but is not gone. I will get a copy of the shops
written report & post a summary of it hear in the next few days.
Gary Hodson