Re: [Healeys] Ruff running, bucking car

To: healeyguy@bredband.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Ruff running, bucking car
From: warthodson@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 10:20:54 -0500 (EST)
I agree with your analysis & that is what we thought the problem was too. It
is true that if he lets the car cool down when sitting or if he can get it up
to a decent speed for a long enough time while it is bucking it will
eventually clear up. But this is almost impossible because of the
extreme/serious bucking. However, as I said, his fuel line runs down the right
side of the frame & across to the carbs in the stock BJ7 location. The HD8s
including intake manifold, heat shield insulating spacers are all stock. The
fuel pump should run continuously if the fuel is boiling in the float
chambers. It is not. The car is not running hot. He is using premium fuel & we
have drained the tank & re-filled with other brands of fuel. We have checked
the entire fuel system for restrictions, clogged filters faulty pickup tubes,
etc. This only happens to his car. When we are traveling in a group (same
conditions) & it does not happen to any of the other cars including several
BJ7s & BJ8s.
Currently, I am leaning towards the sticky valve guide theory. However, I do
not know how to verify this theory. Any suggestions?
Gary