Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Relay

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>, Per Schoerner <per@schoerner.se>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Relay
From: David Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 06:48:03 -0600
Bosch 0 332 204 150 if one doesn't care about originality...
Dave
PS A copy of the Automotive Handbook by Bosch will explain all those odd
picto-grams.. and practically everything else too...
On 9/2/2014 5:56 AM, Bob Spidell wrote:
> If the relay is intermittent or fully TU it's probably burnt points.
> It's possible to carefully open up the relay, clean up the points with
> a point file--remember to clean them after filing with contact
> cleaner--then close them up again.  You could get thousands of miles
> off a repaired relay.
>
> Bob
>

> On 9/2/2014 2:46 AM, Per Schoerner wrote:
>> Hi
>> It's a matter of if you want it to look original or not I think. The
>> overdrive relay is just a relay, I can buy a relay at my local shop
>> here for #3 and it will do the job just fine. But it doesn't look
>> original. Also, there are different relays in early cars. The relays
>> for the BJ8 are much cheaper, possibly the same as the Jaguar relays
>> you refer to.
>> If you have the original, not working, relay you can rebuild it by
>> putting a new modern relay for #3 inside it and it will look very
>> original.
>>
>> Per
>>
>> Michael MacLean skrev den 2014-09-02 00:01:
>>> Can someone tell me why the overdrive relay costs $189 at Moss, only
>>> $44 two places on Ebay and only $25 at Victoria British?  When I
>>> look up the same relay on the Holden site, they say it is a 12V
>>> normally open all purpose relay that was used on Jaguars for the
>>> horns.  They sell it for 38.50 pounds.  I suppose it will work for
>>> the overdrive, but there has to be something going on with such a
>>> big price difference at Moss.  And what the heck is Victoria British
>>> selling for $25?
>>> Mike MacLean
>>> 56 BN2
>>> 60 AN5

--
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/