Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Radiator

To: <rd_parker@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Aluminum Radiator
From: "Patrick & Caroline Quinn" <p_cquinn@tpg.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:41:02 +1100
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net
G'day

I seem to recall that if you lived in what BMC called a tropical area
(Singapore, Caribbean and so on) and you ordered a new six-cylinder
Austin-Healey it came with a tropical radiator fan which consisted of three
double-ended blades for an increased air flow.

The big problem with all production six-cylinder Austin-Healeys was that
from the earliest BN4 through to the last BJ8 they were all fitted with the
same size and capacity radiator.

So how did BMC engineers deal with the heat generated through an increase in
horsepower from 102bhp to 148bhp? As the power increased so did the pressure
rating of the radiator cap.

Unfortunately once the Austin-Healey was assembled at Abingdon it became
second cousin to the MG and minimal development money was spent on the
marque.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Blue Mountains, Australia