Re: [Healeys] excess oil consumption

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] excess oil consumption
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 08:36:06 +0200
--===============0030225992737748247==
 boundary="------------000207010700080302020209"

--------------000207010700080302020209

6 quarts over 4000mls does not sound to bad for an old design British
engine. It also depends how the rebuild was done.
The main reasons for oil consumption, apart from leaking, are wear of
bores/pistons/rings, valve guide wear and blocked/dirty crank case
breathing system.
Check and clean the crankcase ventilation system first. Check for wear
in the valve guides. Check the compression with a hot engine.
That the engine was professionally rebuild does not mean anything, it
depends who has done the job. It is also peculiar that after a rebuild a
few years ago, a ring job was needed not so long ago!!!!!?????

Kees Oudesluijs

It is very unlikely that the air filters have something to do with the
oil consumption. There is no vacuum to speak of created there, unless
they are totally blocked or are absolutely tiny.

^qwarthodson@aol.com schreef op 8-7-2015 om 1:55:
> A friend ask me to post the following question about excess oil
> consumption on this forum to see if anyone has any suggestions.
> I know the engine has been professionally rebuilt a few years ago &
> the compression & leak down tests recently looked "normal". No oil leaks.
> Thanks,
> Gary Hodson
> I had a brief conversation with my mechanic the other day and in the
> next couple of weeks he will do a complete diagnosis on my Healey to
> try to identify why I have had so much oil consumption.  FYI, I just
> emptied the 6^th quart of oil into the engine yesterday â?? and that is
> over 4,000 miles.  It is better than before the recent ring job, but
> nonetheless, is not acceptable to me.
> Mechanic thinks the oil loss might be due to combustion of the oil
> from the back air cleaner that is plumbed with the valve cover.
> He thinks the air cleaner I have on it now is somehow creating a
> vacuum pulling oil from the valve cover and injecting it back into the
> piston and is actually burning the oil off very efficiently.  I still
> donâ??t have any signs of leaks beneath the car nor any smoke from the
> tailpipe.  Quite possibly the current Cooper air cleaners are too
> small and are creating this vacuum.  The Cooper air cleaners replaced
> some other chrome air cleaners the original owner had on the car â?? I
> donâ??t know if it was original equipment.
> Will you do me a favor and see if anyone else had a similar issue with
> oil consumption to identify a â??solutionâ?? that worked for them?  Maybe
> there are other thoughts that we should ask my mechanic to examine as
> well.

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/coudesluijs@chello.nl
>

> Geen virus gevonden in dit bericht.
> Gecontroleerd door AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
> Versie: 2015.0.6081 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10182 - datum van uitgifte:
> 07/07/15

--------------000207010700080302020209

  <head>
  </head>
      bad for an old design British engine. It also depends how the
      rebuild was done.<br>
      The main reasons for oil consumption, apart from leaking, are wear
      of bores/pistons/rings, valve guide wear and blocked/dirty crank
      case breathing system.<br>
      Check and clean the crankcase ventilation system first. Check for
      wear in the valve guides. Check the compression with a hot engine.
      That the engine was professionally rebuild does not mean anything,
      it depends who has done the job. It is also peculiar that after a
      rebuild a few years ago, a ring job was needed not so long
      ago!!!!!?????<br>
      Kees Oudesluijs<br>
      It is very unlikely that the air filters have something to do with
      the oil consumption. There is no vacuum to speak of created there,
      unless they are totally blocked or are absolutely tiny. <br>
      ^qwarthodson@aol.com schreef op 8-7-2015 om 1:55:<br>
      type="cite">
        question about excess oil consumption on this forum to see if
        anyone has any suggestions.</div>
        rebuilt a few years ago &amp; the compression &amp; leak down
        tests recently looked "normal". No oil leaks. </div>
        the other day and in the next couple of weeks he will do a
        complete diagnosis on my Healey to try to identify why I have
        had so much oil consumption.  FYI, I just emptied the 6<sup>th</sup>
        quart of oil into the engine yesterday â?? and that is over 4,000
        miles.  It is better than before the recent ring job, but
        nonetheless, is not acceptable to me.</div>
        to combustion of the oil from the back air cleaner that is
        plumbed with the valve cover.  He thinks the air cleaner I have
        on it now is somehow creating a vacuum pulling oil from
        the valve cover and injecting it back into the piston and is
        actually burning the oil off very efficiently.  I still donâ??t
        have any signs of leaks beneath the car nor any smoke from the
        tailpipe.  Quite possibly the current Cooper air cleaners are
        too small and are creating this vacuum.  The Cooper air cleaners
        replaced some other chrome air cleaners the original owner had
        on the car â?? I donâ??t know if it was original equipment.</div>
        else had a similar issue with oil consumption to identify a
        â??solutionâ?? that worked for them?  Maybe there are other thoughts
        that we should ask my mechanic to examine as well.</div>
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
        Gecontroleerd door AVG - <a moz-do-not-send="true"
          href="http://www.avg.com";>www.avg.com</a><br>
        Versie: 2015.0.6081 / Virusdatabase: 4392/10182 - datum van
        uitgifte: 07/07/15</p>

--------------000207010700080302020209--