Re: [Healeys] excess oil consumption

To: warthodson@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] excess oil consumption
From: Keith Mott <mottman55@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 07:37:08 -0600
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net

--001a113ac73642ebbd051a5d3c78

Unless the rocker shaft is worn, oil should just barely seep out around the
rockers. It would be really hard to get to the vent tube.  With a worn
rocker shaft, oil could squirt high enough to get into the tube, but I
think you'd see blue smoke.

If you're not seeing blue smoke, I think I'd be looking for leaks.

Keith

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 5:55 PM, <warthodson@aol.com> wrote:

> A friend ask me to post the following question about excess oil
> consumption on this forum to see if anyone has any suggestions.
> I know the engine has been professionally rebuilt a few years ago & the
> compression & leak down tests recently looked "normal". No oil leaks.
> Thanks,
> Gary Hodson
>
> I had a brief conversation with my mechanic the other day and in the next
> couple of weeks he will do a complete diagnosis on my Healey to try to
> identify why I have had so much oil consumption.  FYI, I just emptied the=
 6
> th quart of oil into the engine yesterday =E2=80=93 and that is over 4,00=
0
> miles.  It is better than before the recent ring job, but nonetheless, is
> not acceptable to me.
>
> Mechanic thinks the oil loss might be due to combustion of the oil from
> the back air cleaner that is plumbed with the valve cover.  He thinks the
> air cleaner I have on it now is somehow creating a vacuum pulling oil fro=
> the valve cover and injecting it back into the piston and is actually
> burning the oil off very efficiently.  I still don=E2=80=99t have any sig=
ns of
> leaks beneath the car nor any smoke from the tailpipe.  Quite possibly th=
> current Cooper air cleaners are too small and are creating this vacuum.
> The Cooper air cleaners replaced some other chrome air cleaners the
> original owner had on the car =E2=80=93 I don=E2=80=99t know if it was or=
iginal equipment.

> Will you do me a favor and see if anyone else had a similar issue with oi=
> consumption to identify a =E2=80=9Csolution=E2=80=9D that worked for them=
?  Maybe there are
> other thoughts that we should ask my mechanic to examine as well.

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/mottman55@gmail.com

--001a113ac73642ebbd051a5d3c78

ep out around the rockers. It would be really hard to get to the vent tube.=
=C2=A0 With a worn rocker shaft, oil could squirt high enough to get into t=
you&#39;re not seeing blue smoke, I think I&#39;d be looking for leaks.</di=
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 5:55 PM,  <span dir=3D"ltr">&l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:warthodson@aol.com"; target=3D"_blank">warthodson@aol.co=
n:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><font color=3D"bl=
ack" size=3D"2" face=3D"arial">
ut excess oil consumption on this forum to see if anyone has any suggestion=
s.</div>

a few years ago &amp; the compression &amp; leak down tests recently looked=
 &quot;normal&quot;. No oil leaks. </div>

her day and in the next couple of weeks he will do a complete diagnosis on =
my Healey to try to identify why I have had so much oil consumption.=C2=A0 =
FYI, I just emptied the 6<sup>th</sup> quart of oil into the engine yesterd=
ay =E2=80=93 and that is over 4,000 miles.=C2=A0 It is better than before t=
he recent ring job, but nonetheless, is not acceptable to me.</div>

combustion of the oil from the back air cleaner that is plumbed with the va=
lve cover.=C2=A0 He=C2=A0thinks the air cleaner I have on it now is somehow=
 creating a vacuum pulling oil from the=C2=A0valve cover and injecting it b=
ack into the piston and is actually burning the oil off very efficiently.=
=C2=A0 I still don=E2=80=99t have any signs of leaks beneath the car nor an=
y smoke from the tailpipe.=C2=A0 Quite possibly the current Cooper air clea=
ners are too small and are creating this vacuum.=C2=A0 The Cooper air clean=
ers replaced some other chrome air cleaners the original owner had on the c=
ar =E2=80=93 I don=E2=80=99t know if it was original equipment.</div>

a similar issue with oil consumption to identify a =E2=80=9Csolution=E2=80=
=9D that worked for them?=C2=A0 Maybe there are other thoughts that we shou=
ld ask my mechanic to examine as well.</div>

rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=