Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight

To: 100healey <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Keeping rear shock bolts tight
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2016 16:00:30 +0800
Cc: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>

--001a1141a6347393270528a5bf10

Larry - wow, best solution I heard yet.  Especially if this plate rest
flush against the bottoms of side of the mount plate.  You could then lock
the bolts with a nut against the threaded plate after it is tightened.
Elegant.

I was half thinking to make a tab washer connected to both bolts, and
security wire  the bolts together, but I think your solution makes much
more sense.

- Alan

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au> wrote:

> While my comment didn't mention Mike Salter's contribution to the
> discussion, and have seen the quality of Mike's work over many years, I
> have no doubts about his problem solving ability. Where this situation gets
> worse, as has been mentioned, is when the holes in the mount plate get worn
> oval. It occurred to me that some enterprising person could devise a 3/8
> thick plate with 2 tapped holes that would sit on the inside the the
> mounting plate and replace the nuts. It could locate in its soundings and
> be an easy retrofit to existing cars, without any welding involved, or
> could be welded in during a restoration. Just a thought for what it may or
> may not be worth.
> Cheers
> Larry Varley.

--001a1141a6347393270528a5bf10

f this plate rest flush against the bottoms of side of the mount plate.=C2=
=A0 You could then lock the bolts with a nut against the threaded plate aft=
er it is tightened.=C2=A0 Elegant.=C2=A0<br><br>I was half thinking to make=
 a tab washer connected to both bolts, and security wire =C2=A0the bolts to=
On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Larry Varley <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:varley@cosmos.net.au"; target=3D"_blank">varley@cosmos.net.au</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0=
 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">While my comment didn&=
#39;t mention Mike Salter&#39;s contribution to the discussion, and have se=
en the quality of Mike&#39;s work over many years, I have no doubts about h=
is problem solving ability. Where this situation gets worse, as has been me=
ntioned, is when the holes in the mount plate get worn oval. It occurred to=
 me that some enterprising person could devise a 3/8 thick plate with 2 tap=
ped holes that would sit on the inside the the mounting plate and replace t=
he nuts. It could locate in its soundings and be an easy retrofit to existi=
ng cars, without any welding involved, or could be welded in during a resto=
ration. Just a thought for what it may or may not be worth.<br>
Cheers<br>

--001a1141a6347393270528a5bf10--