Re: [Healeys] My BJ8

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] My BJ8
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 13:34:39 -0700
--===============5854159275676317688==
 boundary="------------0096AEC6A33E59CEE75BB493"

--------------0096AEC6A33E59CEE75BB493

Hi Fred,

Sorry to hear about your fire, but good to hear you're 'back in the
saddle.'

Besides the two screws on the top of the console, there should be a
bracket on the transmission cover--inside the bottom front of the
console--with a couple of hook-like--'C-shaped'--brackets that engage a
couple screws on the inside of the console (if you have a stock radio
just pull the knobs off, pull the antenna cable out of the radio and
break the power connection--if it's not fused cut the wire and add a 5A
inline fuse).  Loosen or remove the screws to free them from the bracket.

The console and arm rest are separate pieces; there are two screws at
the front of the armrest--don't recall what's at the rear, 2 more screws
I think--and when you get the armrest off you'll see a single screw
holding the rear of the console to the gearbox cover.  You'll have to
remove the shift knob to get the console out; should be a jamb nut under
the knob which you loosen then unscrew the knob.  With all screws out
lift the rear of the console and work it out from under the fascia; you
don't have to remove any control knobs.

IIRC, the screws into the gearbox cover are originally sheet metal; with
the console off you might want to install nutserts--blind threaded nut
inserts--and replace the sheet metal screws with machine screws:

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html

*http://tinyurl.com/zo29lqn*

Bob

On 10/23/2016 11:13 AM, Fred Wescoe wrote:
> I lost my 63 BJ7 to a whole house fire a number of months back.  I
> owned my BJ7 for over 30 years.  I restored the car and it was
> beautiful.  There was nothing I would not undertake on the car.
>
> I have replaced my 63 BJ7 with a 66 BJ8.  I do love the "new" car.
> There are differences between the cars and that is what I need help
> with.  I need to clean the overdrive operating valve and then adjust
> the overdrive solenoid for proper operation.
>
> My question is how do I remove the center console?  I see the two
> screws on each side of the top of the console where it joins the dash
> but there is more to removing it. Where are there other
> screws/attachment points?  Are there disconnects for the switches or
> do I just made a sketch of the wiring before I disconnect them?
>
> I received just the ignition key when I bought the car.  Is the
> ignition key supposed to operate the glove box and trunk? My key does
> not operate any of the.  If not, I do not see numbers on the locks
> themselves so how and where do I get replacement keys.  I also assume
> there is a separate key for the doors and I do not see a number on
> that lock either.
>
> What other important differences between the cars that I should be
> aware of?
>
> The list has been great with information and help in the past.
>
> Thanks to all who reply.
>
> Fred
>
> 63 BJ7 (deceased)
> 66 BJ8

--------------0096AEC6A33E59CEE75BB493

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      the saddle.'  <br>
      a bracket on the transmission cover--inside the bottom front of
      the console--with a couple of hook-like--'C-shaped'--brackets that
      engage a couple screws on the inside of the console (if you have a
      stock radio just pull the knobs off, pull the antenna cable out of
      the radio and break the power connection--if it's not fused cut
      the wire and add a 5A inline fuse).  Loosen or remove the screws
      to free them from the bracket. <br>
      screws at the front of the armrest--don't recall what's at the
      rear, 2 more screws I think--and when you get the armrest off
      you'll see a single screw holding the rear of the console to the
      gearbox cover.  You'll have to remove the shift knob to get the
      console out; should be a jamb nut under the knob which you loosen
      then unscrew the knob.  With all screws out lift the rear of the
      console and work it out from under the fascia; you don't have to
      remove any control knobs.<br>
      metal; with the console off you might want to install
      nutserts--blind threaded nut inserts--and replace the sheet metal
      screws with machine screws:</p>
href="http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html";>http://www.harborfreight.com/45-piece-threaded-insert-riveter-kit-1210.html</a></p>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAPAC+V7S8qU6o3nXk30sOR6aJ37eWrmdZ4QMKs0jw+3abQSEjg@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
              months back.  I owned my BJ7 for over 30 years.  I
              restored the car and it was beautiful.  There was nothing
              I would not undertake on the car.<br>
              I have replaced my 63 BJ7 with a 66 BJ8.  I do love the
              "new" car.  There are differences between the cars and
              that is what I need help with.  I need to clean the
              overdrive operating valve and then adjust the overdrive
              solenoid for proper operation.<br>
            My question is how do I remove the center console?  I see
            the two screws on each side of the top of the console where
            it joins the dash but there is more to removing it. Where
            are there other screws/attachment points?  Are there
            disconnects for the switches or do I just made a sketch of
            the wiring before I disconnect them?<br>
          I received just the ignition key when I bought the car.  Is
          the ignition key supposed to operate the glove box and trunk?
          My key does not operate any of the.  If not, I do not see
          numbers on the locks themselves so how and where do I get
          replacement keys.  I also assume there is a separate key for
          the doors and I do not see a number on that lock either.<br>
                  that I should be aware of?<br>
                  in the past.<br>

--------------0096AEC6A33E59CEE75BB493--