Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Question

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>, Austin Healeys List <austinhealeyslist@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Question
From: David Porter <frogeye@porterscustom.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 17:45:34 -0700
Cc: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
--===============2720964804395900240==
 boundary="------------11CF1DFE39F9D1E4664D871B"

--------------11CF1DFE39F9D1E4664D871B

I concur, but have on occasion used sealant. It's a PITA to get on both
sides properly during assembly.. There can be some dissimilar metal
corrosion after all this time passage.

DaveP

--
Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/

--------------11CF1DFE39F9D1E4664D871B

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      on both sides properly during assembly.. There can be some
      dissimilar metal corrosion after all this time passage.</p>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7L+zYrx+Gzq61=bnqGo738++FQeP4hdHmWo49M8s0c0bRQ@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Hi Andy,<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The thing is that there is no
          mention of the use of any type of sealant on the clutch ring
          in any of the literature that I have on the overdrive units...
          Hard to imagine but I have never seen evidence of any on the
          virgin units that I have disassembled... I think it was just a
          dry joint!!!<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Michael S<br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">BN1 #174<br>
          Healeys List <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
              href="mailto:austinhealeyslist@gmail.com";
target="_blank">austinhealeyslist@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
          wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">HI Michael<br>
            It has nothing to do with the studs stretching and
            everything to do<br>
            with the aluminium housing flexing. It only needs to move a
            tiny bit<br>
            to unstick the sealant and after that there is no longer
            anything<br>
            stopping the oil weeping out. I'll run an FEA simulation on
            it some<br>
            time to show just how flexible the ali case is.<br>
            btw, Yamabond, Kawabond, Hondabond, Suzukibond etc are all
            OEM names<br>
            for ThreeBond sealant.<br>
            Andy.<br>
                On 11/7/16, Michael Salter &lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com";>michaelsalter@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                wrote:<br>
                &gt; Out of interest I just did the calculations for the
                change in length of the<br>
                &gt; studs in this case.<br>
                &gt; Assuming:<br>
                &gt; 4 x 5/16" dia studs with an effective diameter of
                0.25" each (thread root)<br>
                &gt; and a length of 3" (in actual fact only the bottom
                pair are that long).<br>
                &gt; 0.8 G of braking (which is probably way higher than
                our tires can generate)<br>
                &gt; Young's Modulus of 30,000,000 @ 100 degrees F<br>
                &gt; 700 lbs of engine and gearbox (which is probably
                very high considering that<br>
                &gt; the the mounts are all rubber and the main engine
                mounts would absorb a<br>
                &gt; fair bit as well)<br>
                &gt; Works out to about 0.00028" of stretch.<br>
                &gt; That's less than 10% of a human hair and only
                during panic braking if the<br>
                &gt; tie rod is the only thing resisting the load.<br>
                &gt; I think that there must be other contributing
                factors...<br>
                &gt; Michael S<br>
                &gt; BN1 #174<br>
                &gt;<br>
                &gt; On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Bluehealey &lt;<a
                  moz-do-not-send="true"

href="mailto:bluehealey@gmail.com";>bluehealey@gmail.com</a>&gt;
                wrote:<br>
                &gt;<br>
        -- <br>
                      you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an
      <pre wrap="">_______________________________________________
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/forums";>http://www.team.net/forums</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Healeys@autox.team.net";>Healeys@autox.team.net</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a>

</pre>
      Dave Porter
      Porter Custom Bicycles
      2909 Arno St. NE
      Albuquerque, NM 87107
      505-352-1378
      Go HERE: my world <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="http://www.porterbikes.com/";>www.porterbikes.com/</a>

--------------11CF1DFE39F9D1E4664D871B--