Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Overdrive Question
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 08:54:02 -0800
--===============4196282722760113787==
 boundary="------------94F902C5A1930538123699C6"

--------------94F902C5A1930538123699C6

"... the two other annoying leaks I had on the engine, one from the rear
main and one from the front crankshaft seal both stopped completely as
soon as I replaced the cork rocker cover gasketwith a silicone one."

For the life of me I can't think of why that would happen (but glad for
you that it did).  The only thing that I could think of is if the valve
cover gasket leaked profusely, it /might /relieve some crankcase
pressure hence reducing some leakage from those places.

Bob

On 11/5/2016 9:48 PM, Austin Healeys List wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> The overdrive brake ring will seal fine whatever you put on it- as
> long as you don't drive anywhere! The issue is that there are only
> four bolts holding the back housing on and in between them at the
> bottom is a cantilevered lug that takes all the reaction force of the
> engine and transmission when applying the brakes. The housing just
> opens up a little under braking and there you go, instant oil leak.
>
> A solution I found successful was to grind a curved slot around both
> sides of the steel sandwich plate with a Dremel about 1mm deep and
> when assembling it, cover the faces and fill the slot with 3-bond 1215
> silicone. When the slot opens up, the silicone in the groove stays
> flexible enough to bridge the gap.Oring cord could work too but I
> didn't have anything to machine the groove accurately enough.
>
> Slightly related- the two other annoying leaks I had on the engine,
> one from the rear main and one from the front crankshaft seal both
> stopped completely as soon as I replaced the cork rocker cover gasket
> with a silicone one. The rocker cover has a similar issue in that only
> two bolts are expected to hold the entire thing on and cork simply
> can't flex and comply like silicone can when the cover starts dancing
> around on the various resonant frequencies produced by the engine.
>
> Andy.

--------------94F902C5A1930538123699C6

  <head>
  </head>
      the rear main and one from the front crankshaft seal both stopped
      completely as soon as I replaced the cork rocker cover gasketwith
      a silicone one."</p>
      glad for you that it did).  The only thing that I could think of
      is if the valve cover gasket leaked profusely, it <i>might </i>relieve
      some crankcase pressure hence reducing some leakage from those
      places.<br>
    Bob<br>
      List wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAGHuNqC3BiDvBjRzq3PP1BCQHouuH35xxC8aht_EYCD8tXm73Q@mail.gmail.com"

[...]