Re: [Healeys] Lightweight Flywheel

Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lightweight Flywheel
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 13:27:05 -0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------FE518A1A38573DB737A247D2

Does this conversion retain the BN1/2's mechanical clutch?

On 1/6/2019 1:01 PM, Curtis Arndt wrote:
> Regarding lightening flywheels on a BN2, the best solutions I've heard
> of comes from Bruce Phillips at "Healey Surgeons" in Maryland, and is
> something he did on his BN2 decades ago with great success.
> Substitute the stock 100 flywheel for one from a BJ8... This
> accomplishes several things, first, it greatly reduces the weight
> without having to compromise an original flywheel (plus it's an
> original Austin Healey part), and secondly allows the use of the
> superior BJ8 diaphragm clutch.  Bruce and others who've tried this
> swear by the conversion.
>
> Supposedly, it does not work too well with a BN1 transmission since
> according to Bruce, the setup requires that the BN1 transmission bell
> housing be modified, i.e., material ground away for clearance?  I have
> not been able confirm this, but fellow Concours member and performance
> expert John Hodgman told me he didn't think there would be a problem,
> and was investigating whether or not it could work on his BN1.
>
> Comments?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Curt

--------------FE518A1A38573DB737A247D2

  <head>
  </head>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAJKrNeRnd5UjhPh1fG30hmOPopwfg-+wVKX-s_zxoRxAMNDJfg@mail.gmail.com">
        solutions I've heard of comes from Bruce Phillips at "Healey
        Surgeons" in Maryland, and is something he did on his BN2
        decades ago with great success.  Substitute the stock 100
        flywheel for one from a BJ8... This accomplishes several things,
        first, it greatly reduces the weight without having to
        compromise an original flywheel (plus it's an original Austin
        Healey part), and secondly allows the use of the superior BJ8
        diaphragm clutch.  Bruce and others who've tried this swear by
        the conversion.
          transmission since according to Bruce, the setup requires that
          the BN1 transmission bell housing be modified, i.e., material
          ground away for clearance?  I have not been able confirm this,
          but fellow Concours member and performance expert John Hodgman
          told me he didn't think there would be a problem, and was
          investigating whether or not it could work on his BN1. </div>

--------------FE518A1A38573DB737A247D2--

--===============1356217822570231901==