Re: [Healeys] Lightweight Flywheel

To: Greg Lemon <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lightweight Flywheel
From: Curtis Arndt <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2019 13:01:39 -0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000b4f59a057ed06b00

Regarding lightening flywheels on a BN2, the best  solutions I've heard of
comes from Bruce Phillips at "Healey Surgeons" in Maryland, and is
something he did on his BN2 decades ago with great success.  Substitute the
stock 100 flywheel for one from a BJ8... This accomplishes several things,
first, it greatly reduces the weight without having to compromise an
original flywheel (plus it's an original Austin Healey part), and secondly
allows the use of the superior BJ8 diaphragm clutch.  Bruce and others
who've tried this swear by the conversion.

Supposedly, it does not work too well with a BN1 transmission since
according to Bruce, the setup requires that the BN1 transmission bell
housing be modified, i.e., material ground away for clearance?  I have not
been able confirm this, but fellow Concours member and performance expert
John Hodgman told me he didn't think there would be a problem, and was
investigating whether or not it could work on his BN1.

Comments?

Cheers,

Curt

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 6:13 PM <glemon@neb.rr.com> wrote:

> I had my flywheel lightened by a local machine shop.  It was done in
> conjunction with an engine rebuild to M spec, so it was hard to evaluate
> the effect on performance.  However I can say there were no I'll effects as
> far as idle or clutch/take off operation with the lightened flywheel.
>
> Greg Lemon
> Former BN1 owner
>
> ---- WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com> wrote:
> > I have a lightened flywheel in my BN1 (26 pounds as opposed to 42) and
> I've used it for over 13 years with no known ill effects. The engine has
> been out for an unrelated failure and the crank checked out crack free. I
> use the car for highway cruising and around town and I don't spend much
> time above about 3200 RPM. I have Mike Lempert's 3.54:1 gears (hypoid final
> drive) and the 28% overdrive which gives an 80 MPH cruise at around that
> RPM. No land speed records, but no speeding tickets either...
> >
> > Bill Lawrence
> > BN1 #554
> > ________________________________

solutions=C2=A0I&#39;ve heard of comes from Bruce Phillips at &quot;Healey =
Surgeons&quot; in Maryland, and is something he did on his BN2 decades ago =
with great success.=C2=A0 Substitute the stock 100 flywheel for one from a =
BJ8... This accomplishes several things, first, it greatly reduces the weig=
ht without having to compromise an original flywheel (plus it&#39;s an orig=
inal Austin Healey part), and secondly allows the use of the superior BJ8 d=
iaphragm clutch.=C2=A0 Bruce and others who&#39;ve tried this swear by the =
 well with a BN1 transmission since according to Bruce, the setup requires =
that the BN1 transmission bell housing be modified, i.e., material ground a=
way for clearance?=C2=A0 I have not been able confirm this, but fellow Conc=
ours member and performance expert John Hodgman told me he didn&#39;t think=
 there would be a problem, and was investigating whether or not it could wo=
ail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 6:13 PM &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px=
 solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I had my flywheel lightened by a =
local machine shop.=C2=A0 It was done in conjunction with an engine rebuild=
 to M spec, so it was hard to evaluate the effect on performance.=C2=A0 How=
ever I can say there were no I&#39;ll effects as far as idle or clutch/take=
 off operation with the lightened flywheel.<br>
Greg Lemon<br>
Former BN1 owner<br>
---- WILLIAM B LAWRENCE &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ynotink@msn.com"; target=3D"_b=
lank">ynotink@msn.com</a>&gt; wrote: <br>
&gt; I have a lightened flywheel in my BN1 (26 pounds as opposed to 42) and=
 I&#39;ve used it for over 13 years with no known ill effects. The engine h=
as been out for an unrelated failure and the crank checked out crack free. =
I use the car for highway cruising and around town and I don&#39;t spend mu=
ch time above about 3200 RPM. I have Mike Lempert&#39;s 3.54:1 gears (hypoi=
d final drive) and the 28% overdrive which gives an 80 MPH cruise at around=
 that RPM. No land speed records, but no speeding tickets either...<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Bill Lawrence<br>
&gt; BN1 #554<br>
&gt; ________________________________<br>
&gt; From: Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank">healeys-bounces@autox.team.net</a>&gt; on behalf of Michael=
 Salter &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michael.salter@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">m=
ichael.salter@gmail.com</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Sent: Friday, January 4, 2019 1:03 AM<br>
&gt; To: Charlie Schott<br>
&gt; Cc: <a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">healey=
s@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [Healeys] Lightweight Flywheel<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Read this first<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.netbug.net/blogmichael/2017/01/03/austin-healey-=
100-crank-failures/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.netbug=
.net/blogmichael/2017/01/03/austin-healey-100-crank-failures/</a><br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Thu, Jan 3, 2019, 7:42 PM Charles Schott &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scho=
ttc@knology.net" target=3D"_blank">schottc@knology.net</a>&lt;mailto:<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:schottc@knology.net"; target=3D"_blank">schottc@knology.net</a>&=
gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Has anyone used a lightweight flywheel on their 100 BN1? I plan on goi=
ng with a complete Le Mans kit and a lightweight flywheel and the car will =
be for street use. If you have, what are your thoughts on it? Thanks.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Charlie Schott<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; ________________________________<br>
&gt; From: &quot;Michael Salter&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:michael.salter@=
gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">michael.salter@gmail.com</a>&lt;mailto:<a href=
=3D"mailto:michael.salter@gmail.com"; target=3D"_blank">michael.salter@gmail=
.com</a>&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; To: &quot;Bob Spidell&quot; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net=
" target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:bs=
pidell@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; Cc: <a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">healey=
s@autox.team.net</a>&lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net"; ta=
rget=3D"_blank">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
&gt; Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:51:43 AM<br>
&gt; Subject: Re: [Healeys] tri power for sale<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I encourage as many people as possible to &quot;M&quot; up their 100&#=
39;s.<br>
&gt; Makes original cars that much more valuable.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; M<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On Thu, Dec 20, 2018, 9:52 AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bspide=
ll@comcast.net" target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&lt;mailto:<a hre=
f=3D"mailto:bspidell@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank">bspidell@comcast.net</a=
>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; My understanding is that the &#39;kits&#39; installed by dealers varie=
d; the<br>
&gt; complete one--the one done at the Healey shop--includes higher<br>
&gt; compression pistons, a more aggressive cam, some suspension tweaks<br>
&gt; (stiffer shocks, maybe a larger anti-sway bar), a different distributo=
r<br>
&gt; and, of course, the louvred bonnet.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Someone wrote up a list of mods that could be done--even better cam<br=

&gt; profile, for example--that could be done to a &#39;stock&#39; BN1/2 to=
 achieve<br>
&gt; performance superior to a M, while keeping the original &#39;flavor&#3=
9; of the car.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Bob<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; On 12/19/2018 11:14 PM, <a href=3D"mailto:sentenac.rw@gmail.com"; targe=
t=3D"_blank">sentenac.rw@gmail.com</a>&lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:sentenac=
.rw@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sentenac.rw@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; Well, for starters you can look at page A34 of the=C2=A0 Moss Mot=
ors<br>
&gt; &gt; catalogue.=C2=A0 The section labeled &quot;100M Conversion&quot;.=
=C2=A0 It may be a<br>
&gt; &gt; different page on the latest catalogue.=C2=A0 Carbs, Manifold set=
, cold air<br>
&gt; &gt; box,etc.<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; -Roland<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 18:48:10 -0500 (EST), you wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;&gt; I recently purchased a 1955 100-4 for a frame off restoration=
. Since I&#39;m going to rebuild the engine, I&#39;d like to give it the &q=
uot;M&quot; upgrade. Does anyone know where I can purchase the parts for wh=
at they call the LeMans kit? Thanks.<br>
&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;&gt; Regards,<br>
&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;&gt; Charlie Schott<br>
&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;&gt;<br>
&gt; Support Team.Net <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.75<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"nore=
ferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=
=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
[...]