Re: [Healeys] Facet Cube 12v Fuel Pump, 1/8 NPT, 2-3.5 psi | Pegasus Aut

To: "Warthodson@aol.com" <warthodson@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Facet Cube 12v Fuel Pump, 1/8 NPT, 2-3.5 psi | Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 09:54:52 +0800
Cc: Healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>, I Erbs <eyera3000@gmail.com>

--000000000000d2ce51059ecff572

I think in an urban context like in San Francisco, when I was driving
across the Bay Bridge all the time, I couldn't afford to have the pump crap
out on me.  I had one friend it happened to, and his BJ8  was totalled when
he came to a stop on the upper deck with a faulty SU pump (he didn't know
he should carry a mallot in the car to whack the back panel with!).

I replaced my SU, which was very temperamental, with a facet bendix style
pump which was more reliable, cheap and quiet.  As I got older, the
electronic SUs became available and I switched back.   I think the main
thing was the contacts were really fiddly, and if driving all the time...
at some point would fail.

Best,

Alan

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 11:20 PM warthodson--- via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Why do so many people replace an original SU pump that has lasted decades
> with an aftermarket pump that requires modifying the fuel lines, adding
> additional fittings, clamps & altering the mounting brackets (all
> additional sources of failures), vibrates continuously, etc, when it would
> be so much easier & more original to simply replace it with a new highly
> reliable SU fuel pump? If you are concerned about being stranded at the
> side of the road, carry a spare SU or even better install it in parallel &
> wire up a selector switch so you can switch between the two pumps.
> Gary Hodson

--000000000000d2ce51059ecff572

rancisco, when I was driving across the Bay Bridge all the time, I couldn&#=
39;t afford to have the pump crap out on me.=C2=A0 I had one friend it happ=
ened to, and his BJ8=C2=A0 was totalled when he came to a stop on the upper=
 deck with a faulty SU pump (he didn&#39;t know he should carry a mallot in=
U, which was very temperamental, with a facet bendix style pump which was m=
ore reliable, cheap and quiet.=C2=A0 As I got older, the electronic SUs bec=
ame available and I switched back.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I think the main thing was t=
he contacts were really fiddly, and if driving all the time... at some poin=
ttr">On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 11:20 PM warthodson--- via Healeys &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 original SU pump that has lasted decades with an aftermarket pump that req=
uires modifying the fuel lines, adding additional fittings, clamps &amp; al=
tering the mounting brackets (all additional sources of failures), vibrates=
 continuously, etc, when it would be so much easier &amp; more original to =
simply replace it with a new highly reliable SU fuel pump? If you are conce=
rned about being stranded at the side of the road, carry a spare SU or even=
 better install it in parallel &amp; wire up a selector switch so you can s=
witch between the two pumps.=C2=A0

--000000000000d2ce51059ecff572--

--===============0869397658331134974==