Re: [Healeys] wheel

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] wheel
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 17:27:32 -0800

--------------0FD3BD0F6D10C2A50B1A07DF

The wheel is a piece of cake (single large snap ring). The trafficator,
which has to be removed first, is a real PITA. The usual 'technique' is
to disconnect the trafficator harness at the front of the car,and pull
the movable part out. But, it's possible, if you have enough slack in
the harness, to pull the top part of the stator tube out and disconnect
the wiring at the hub (take lots of photos). All things considered, I
think Plan A is the least hassle; drain the steering box first (you'll
lose most of the fluid anyway when you loosen the olive). Plan B
involves messing with a lot of small, non-standard screws, which have a
tendency to evaporate.

Possibly the hardest part (Plan A) is feeding the harness wires back
through the lower portion of the stator tube to replace the wheel/hub.

Bob

On 1/2/2021 2:55 PM, Mike Sinclair wrote:

> How much trouble is it to remove the steering wheel on a BJ8?  And how
> much trouble to put it back?  I just want it out of the way temporarily.
>
> Mike

--------------0FD3BD0F6D10C2A50B1A07DF

  <head>
  </head>
    The wheel is a piece of cake (single large snap ring). The
    trafficator, which has to be removed first, is a real PITA. The
    usual 'technique' is to disconnect the trafficator harness at the
    front of the car,and pull the movable part out. But, it's possible,
    if you have enough slack in the harness, to pull the top part of the
    stator tube out and disconnect the wiring at the hub (take lots of
    photos). All things considered, I think Plan A is the least hassle;
    drain the steering box first (you'll lose most of the fluid anyway
    when you loosen the olive). Plan B involves messing with a lot of
    small, non-standard screws, which have a tendency to evaporate.<br>
    Possibly the hardest part (Plan A) is feeding the harness wires back
    through the lower portion of the stator tube to replace the
    wheel/hub.<br>
    Bob<br>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:d1c00e79-4445-882b-4731-e1087abe730c@comcast.net">
          steering wheel on a BJ8?  And how much trouble to put it
          back?  I just want it out of the way temporarily.  <br>

--------------0FD3BD0F6D10C2A50B1A07DF--

--===============6638913874853538886==