Re: [Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle

To: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 18:53:18 -0800
Cc: "healeys@autox.team.net" <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------EE74CD5A53D12499C3393598

Point taken, Michael. That's why I bought an alignment kit, so I can
test the effects of changes. Several Healey owners run 0deg camber with
no issues, and I've seen a couple that appear to have neg. camber (I
won't go near that). All my changes can be reversed if I don't like the
results.

If we shouldn't mess with a 70 year-old suspension design--designed for
radial tires--we probably shouldn't be running radials.

On 1/6/2021 10:48 AM, Michael Salter wrote:
> Re: /Still wondering how adjusting camber, for instance--zero camber
> is recommended (newer cars have slightly neg. camber)--for the radial
> tires most of us run is a hazard (assuming it's done properly).
> /
> I would have completely agreed with you Bob until I started doing some
> basic designing of front suspension systems.
> Although changing the camber may seem like a small thing you would be
> surprised at how much a small adjustment in any of the suspension
> angles of dimensions affects other things including "kingpin offset"
> and "bump steer" each of which can have a profound effect on ride and
> handling.
> As an example I have a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4. This car has 4 wheel
> steering but I don't think that is relevant.
> When I bought it fancy alloy replacement wheels had been installed.
> These wheels moved the front tyre contact patch outboard around 1.5 cm.
> The car was absolutely horrendous to drive with profound torque steer
> upon the application of full throttle (320 BHP), appalling "tram
> tracking" and incredible tyre wear.
> I had another 3000 GT come in for service and as a test fitted the
> wheels off that car onto mine. The transformation was absolutely
> unbelievable; both the handling problems vanished completely.
> I almost managed to talk the owner of the other 3000 into swapping his
> regular wheels for my fancy alloys but just couldn't do it and came
> clean by letting him drive my car with the alloy wheels back on.
> Small changes can have VERY LARGE consequences.
>
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 11:22 AM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net
>
>     That's odd; the bearings should be immersed in grease (although
>     I've wondered how well greasing the top trunnion works, as a lot
>     gets squished out).
>
>     I installed the Torrington bearings on my BJ8 years ago; I thought
>     steering effort was reduced a bit (but I think part of it was
>     confirmation bias). Agree that it would make more sense to install
>     them on the bottom, load-bearing, trunnion.
>
>     Bob
>
>     ps. Still wondering how adjusting camber, for instance--zero
>     camber is recommended (newer cars have slightly neg. camber)--for
>     the radial tires most of us run is a hazard (assuming it's done
>     properly).

--------------EE74CD5A53D12499C3393598

  <head>
  </head>
    Point taken, Michael. That's why I bought an alignment kit, so I can
    test the effects of changes. Several Healey owners run 0deg camber
    with no issues, and I've seen a couple that appear to have neg.
    camber (I won't go near that). All my changes can be reversed if I
    don't like the results.<br>
    If we shouldn't mess with a 70 year-old suspension design--designed
    for radial tires--we probably shouldn't be running radials.<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAB3i7LL6QkRmhdV5ruX0WVL3YY5aNSPgFb3CMiSxxZTG5oS_dw@mail.gmail.com">
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Re: <i>Still wondering how
            adjusting camber, for instance--zero camber is recommended
            (newer cars have slightly neg. camber)--for the radial tires
            most of us run is a hazard (assuming it's done properly). <br>
          </i></div>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I would have completely agreed
          with you Bob until I started doing some basic designing of
          front suspension systems. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Although changing the camber
          may seem like a small thing you would be surprised at how much
          a small adjustment in any of the suspension angles of
          dimensions affects other things including "kingpin offset" and
          "bump steer" each of which can have a profound effect on ride
          and handling.</div>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">As an example I have a
          Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4. This car has 4 wheel steering but I
          don't think that is relevant. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">When I bought it fancy alloy
          replacement wheels had been installed. These wheels moved the
          front tyre contact patch outboard around 1.5 cm. <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">The car was absolutely
          horrendous to drive with profound torque steer upon the
          application of full throttle (320 BHP), appalling "tram
          tracking" and incredible tyre wear.  <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I had another 3000 GT come in
          for service and as a test fitted the wheels off that car onto
          mine. The transformation was absolutely unbelievable; both the
          handling problems vanished completely.  <br>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">I almost managed to talk the
          owner of the other 3000 into swapping his regular wheels for
          my fancy alloys but just couldn't do it and came clean by
          letting him drive my car with the alloy wheels back on.</div>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">Small changes can have VERY
          LARGE consequences.</div>
          ms,sans-serif;font-size:small">M<br>
          AM Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
            (although I've wondered how well greasing the top trunnion
            works, as a lot gets squished out).<br>
            I installed the Torrington bearings on my BJ8 years ago; I
            thought steering effort was reduced a bit (but I think part
            of it was confirmation bias). Agree that it would make more
            sense to install them on the bottom, load-bearing, trunnion.<br>
            Bob<br>

--===============7959659972405801312==