Re: [Healeys] Auxiliary electric fan

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Auxiliary electric fan
From: richard mayor via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 14:51:42 -0700
Cc: Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@upcmail.nl>, Alan Seigrist via Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>

--0000000000008afeff05c7bd4b55

What is the down side of running a 165 degree thermostat?  Is your engine
not running at optimum efficiency?  I have been led to believe that an
engine's optimum running temperature is somewhere around 185 - 190 degrees.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 6:07 PM Alan Seigrist via Healeys <
healeys@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Kees -
>
> Living in hot and tropical climates like I have, I can confirm that using
> cooler thermostats helps a great deal to reduce heat spikes in traffic, as
> there is significantly less heat energy stored in the coolant at 165F vs
> 180F.  That combined with a well sorted system will be sufficient to give
> you a few more minutes at idle than if you were running a 180 or 190F
> thermostat on a very hot day.
>
> You are correct it technically will not prevent overheating, but it will
> postpone it long enough until you get driving again.
>
> Best,
>
> Alan
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 5:48 PM Kees Oudesluijs <coudesluijs@upcmail.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> A thermostat with a lower opening temperature does not prevent
>> overheating. It may buy you some time before the engine overheats but if
>> you are long enough in a traffic jam it will overheat eventually. A more
>> powerful fixed fan may alleviate the problem a bit but the only real
>> solution will be a properly installed electric fan.
>>
>> I have done this from the sixties on all my cars that had a fixed fan.
>> However even in those days many of the more powerful cars were already
>> equipped with thermostatically controlled radiator fans.
>>
>> An electric fan does not solve overheating because of other issues like a
>> dirty or blocked radiator, silted up engine, faulty cowling etc.
>>

>> Kees Oudesluijs

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/boyracer466@gmail.com

--0000000000008afeff05c7bd4b55

=C2=A0 Is your engine not running at optimum efficiency?=C2=A0 I have been =
led to believe that an engine&#39;s optimum running temperature is somewher=
r=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 6:07 PM Alan Seigris=
t via Healeys &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>healeys@autox.t=
margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-lef=
l climates like I have, I can confirm that using cooler thermostats helps a=
 great deal=C2=A0to reduce heat spikes in traffic, as there is significantl=
y less heat energy stored in the coolant at 165F vs 180F.=C2=A0 That combin=
ed with a well sorted system will be sufficient to give you a few more minu=
tes at idle than if you were running a 180 or 190F thermostat on a very hot=
ent overheating, but it will postpone it long enough until you get driving =
 Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 5:48 PM Kees Oudesluijs &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:coudesl=
uijs@upcmail.nl" target=3D"_blank">coudesluijs@upcmail.nl</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

   =20
heating. It may buy you some time before the engine overheats but if you ar=
e long enough in a traffic jam it will overheat eventually. A more powerful=
 fixed fan may alleviate the problem a bit but the only real solution will =
ixties on all my cars that had a fixed fan. However even in those days many=
 of the more powerful cars were already equipped with thermostatically cont=
because of other issues like a dirty or blocked radiator, silted up engine,=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys"; rel=3D"noreferre=
r" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a> <a href=3D"h=
ttp://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=