Re: [Healeys] Stainless exhaust again

To: Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Stainless exhaust again
From: Michael Salter <michaelsalter@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 17:50:18 -0400
Cc: healey Mail List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--000000000000f1772c05e15b46a6

I make my own front pipes for 100's because the cheapo repos are so
terrible.
I use mild steel for the pipes, which I actually had mandrel bent in New
Zealand because no one in Canada seemed to be able to bend them to the
correct radius but, and pretty soon I'll get to the point of this email, I
weld the stainless flex to the mild steel with my TIG welder.
I use mild steel for the pipes because I have yet to see a front pipe that
has rusted through unless the car is driven extensively on salted roads.
I'm sure anyone who does TIG welding could do the welding for you in mild
steel but if you are prepared to pay handsomely FAB Stainless Welding could
do them in stainless 905 669 7400 ask for Frank.
BTW the stainless steel flex seems to leak slightly when first installed
but that stops after a little use, the gaps probably fill with carbon.

On Mon., Jun. 13, 2022, 3:54 p.m. Stephen Hutchings, <s.hutchings@rogers.co=
m>
wrote:

> Just thought I=E2=80=99d bring you up to date on my quest for a leak free=
 exhaust.
> The new downpipes arrive today, and I did a test on them before going to
> the trouble of putting them on the car.
> Well=E2=80=A6Bell exhaust systems need new welders, because the two pipes=
 both
> leak at the welds AND through the flex pipe!
> I=E2=80=99m trying to find someone local to fix them, but most muffler sh=
ops say
> they can't weld stainless.
> If anyone knows someone in the Toronto area who can do this work, please
> let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen, BJ8
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michaelsalter@gmail.com

--000000000000f1772c05e15b46a6

o repos are so terrible.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">I use mild steel for the pi=
pes, which I actually had mandrel bent in New Zealand because no one in Can=
ada seemed to be able to bend them to the correct radius but, and pretty so=
on I&#39;ll get to the point of this email, I weld the stainless flex to th=
e mild steel with my TIG welder.=C2=A0</div><div dir=3D"auto">I use mild st=
eel for the pipes because I have yet to see a front pipe that has rusted th=
rough unless the car is driven extensively on salted roads.</div><div dir=
=3D"auto">I&#39;m sure anyone who does TIG welding could do the welding for=
 you in mild steel but if you are prepared to pay handsomely FAB Stainless =
Welding could do them in stainless 905 669 7400 ask for Frank.</div><div di=
r=3D"auto">BTW the stainless steel flex seems to leak slightly when first i=
nstalled but that stops after a little use, the gaps probably fill with car=
iv class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon., Jun=
. 13, 2022, 3:54 p.m. Stephen Hutchings, &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:s.hutchings@=
s=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pad=
ding-left:1ex">Just thought I=E2=80=99d bring you up to date on my quest fo=
r a leak free exhaust.<br>
The new downpipes arrive today, and I did a test on them before going to th=
e trouble of putting them on the car.<br>
Well=E2=80=A6Bell exhaust systems need new welders, because the two pipes b=
oth leak at the welds AND through the flex pipe! <br>
I=E2=80=99m trying to find someone local to fix them, but most muffler shop=
s say they can&#39;t weld stainless.<br>
If anyone knows someone in the Toronto area who can do this work, please le=
t me know.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Stephen, BJ8<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>