Re: [Healeys] Stainless exhaust again

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Stainless exhaust again
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 16:38:19 -0700

--------------2XSPpVbpfms8zzCDGQ4DvJ26

In other climes, like sunny--i.e. hot and desperately dry--California
salt isn't an issue, but quick trips to the corner 7-11 for a sixer are.
Condensation from the engine exhaust pools in the low spots, and the
pipes don't get hot enough to boil it out on short trips--think of the
white 'smoke' coming from cars on cold mornings--and MS exhausts rust
out from the inside. Since most of us don't use our Healeys for such
mundane tasks (except for emergencies) SS isn't really ever needed, and
you'll probably bash your exhaust to bits and rattles before it rusts.
Plus, I think most 'performance' exhausts are a type of (fiber)
'glasspack,' and you'll blow the 'glass' out in a few years.

I bought an Ansa exhaust for my BJ8 shortly after I bought it some 38
years ago, and its pipes live on. Even though they made my car sound
like a 6-cyl Ferrari, I'd love to get another set. Michael
Lempert--maker of gorgeous steering wheels--considered building his own
version but, unfortunately didn't proceed.

On 6/13/2022 2:55 PM, Jean Caron wrote:
> With the few miles we put on our cars each year  I simply cannot see
> the need for stainless steel exhaust when a MD steel one will last 20
> + years anyway.
>
> Jean
>
> Sent from my Bell Samsung device over Canadaâ??s largest network.

  <head>
  </head>
    In other climes, like sunny--i.e. hot and desperately
    dry--California salt isn't an issue, but quick trips to the corner
    7-11 for a sixer are. Condensation from the engine exhaust pools in
    the low spots, and the pipes don't get hot enough to boil it out on
    short trips--think of the white 'smoke' coming from cars on cold
    mornings--and MS exhausts rust out from the inside. Since most of us
    don't use our Healeys for such mundane tasks (except for
    emergencies) SS isn't really ever needed, and you'll probably bash
    your exhaust to bits and rattles before it rusts. Plus, I think most
    'performance' exhausts are a type of (fiber) 'glasspack,' and you'll
    blow the 'glass' out in a few years.<br>
    I bought an Ansa exhaust for my BJ8 shortly after I bought it some
    38 years ago, and its pipes live on. Even though they made my car
    sound like a 6-cyl Ferrari, I'd love to get another set. Michael
    Lempert--maker of gorgeous steering wheels--considered building his
    own version but, unfortunately didn't proceed.<br>
cite="mid:DS7PR11MB6078EB72A26E6393781D9DCED1AB9@DS7PR11MB6078.namprd11.prod.outlook.com">
        simply cannot see the need for stainless steel exhaust when a MD
        steel one will last 20 + years anyway.</div>
        Samsung device over Canadaâ??s largest network.</div>
      <hr style="display:inline-block;width:98%" tabindex="-1">
          face="Calibri, sans-serif" color="#000000"><b>From:</b>
          Healeys <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys-bounces@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys-bounces@autox.team.net&gt;</a>
 on behalf of
          Michael Salter <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:michaelsalter@gmail.com";>&lt;michaelsalter@gmail.com&gt;</a><br>
          <b>To:</b> Stephen Hutchings <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:s.hutchings@rogers.com";>&lt;s.hutchings@rogers.com&gt;</a><br>
          <b>Cc:</b> healey Mail List <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";>&lt;healeys@autox.team.net&gt;</a><br>
          cheapo repos are so terrible.
            actually had mandrel bent in New Zealand because no one in
            Canada seemed to be able to bend them to the correct radius
            but, and pretty soon I'll get to the point of this email, I
            weld the stainless flex to the mild steel with my TIG
            welder. </div>
            yet to see a front pipe that has rusted through unless the
            car is driven extensively on salted roads.</div>
            the welding for you in mild steel but if you are prepared to
            pay handsomely FAB Stainless Welding could do them in
            stainless 905 669 7400 ask for Frank.</div>
            slightly when first installed but that stops after a little
            use, the gaps probably fill with carbon.</div>
            3:54 p.m. Stephen Hutchings, &lt;<a
              href="mailto:s.hutchings@rogers.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">s.hutchings@rogers.com</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            border-left:1px #ccc solid; padding-left:1ex">
            Just thought Iâ??d bring you up to date on my quest for a leak
            free exhaust.<br>
            The new downpipes arrive today, and I did a test on them
            before going to the trouble of putting them on the car.<br>
            Wellâ?¦Bell exhaust systems need new welders, because the two
            pipes both leak at the welds AND through the flex pipe!
            Iâ??m trying to find someone local to fix them, but most
            muffler shops say they can't weld stainless.<br>
            If anyone knows someone in the Toronto area who can do this
            work, please let me know.<br>
            Thanks,<br>
            Stephen, BJ8<br>

--------------2XSPpVbpfms8zzCDGQ4DvJ26--