mg-mmm

RE: Rear Hubs

To: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>, "Jarl or Carol" <deboer@deboer.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Hubs
From: "Robert Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 22:26:43 -0300
Cc: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
New half shafts are used with a taper on the outer end, usually with a key
and outer end nut. The old hub is taper bored and a key slot machined. Bung
the whole thing together and tighten the outer nut and you have a superior
connection to the old parrallel fit axles/hubs.
XK Jaguars use this method.
I can supply the tapered axle shafts for the MG TA/TB/TC.  MMM cars may be
shorter shafts, depending on model.
It is my understanding that Phil Marino no longer makes tapered axle shafts.
Regards, Bob Grunau

Jarl

<Phil Marino's tapered-end axle rear modification.>

But surely it's still necessary to replace one of the two bits, at least? Or
is there an insert fitted to the hub to accept a taper ground on the old
halfshaft? As you'll gather I don't know anyone who has the mod.

The reason for my original comment was dismiss any thoughts of using the
existing parts with welding, screws, Loctite, etc, which have all been tried
and failed in the past.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC