Re: perfect pitch and exhaust notes

To: Herald1200@aol.com, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: perfect pitch and exhaust notes
From: Walt Smith <waltonps@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 09:30:09 -0800 (PST)
Andy, this sounds more like a Ferrari question, however as
a musician, I'm sure you are familiar with how a Pipe Organ
works.

1: engine = the pump and air reservoir. (We have four on
our MG organ)

2: Combustion Chamber = wind chest

3: Exhaust valve = The Stop

4: Engine RPM = Key Action

5: Exhaust = Pipe

On the organ, one pipe equals one pitch. This is different
from orchestral instruments like flutes or trumpets, which
produce multiple pitches through the keys on the
instrument. There are no keys or holes in the pipes of the
organ to control the pitch. An organ pipe's pitch is
determined by the length and diameter of the pipe.

On the piano, the keys always play the same pitch. Middle C
will always sound middle C. The organ is quite different.
Different stops are made to sound at different pitch levels
so it is possible to play middle C and an octave above
middle C at the same time, even though the Musician is
pressing only the middle C key.

6: Engine Tuner = Musician.

Andy, take your car out; and compose!

Best Regards;