Re: TD side curtains

To: Peter Thiel <pthiel@QuixNet.net>
Subject: Re: TD side curtains
From: Bud Krueger <budkrueger@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 08:45:08 -0400
The side curtain COVER dimensions that are of paramount importance are
the height from the the top of the door to the weather flap on the lower
edge of the top and the width from the rear edge above the door line to
the back edge of the windshield frame where the side curtain is supposed
to nestle when the door is closed.  The front of the cover should match
the angle of the windshield rake.

I believe that these dimensions are the same whether the car has a 2-bow
or 3-bow top.  The dimensions that Len is talking about are window
opening dimensions.  The problem here is that a 2-bow window frame is
smaller than the 3-bow window opening.  As a result you would have the
mounting studs and trim strips on the plastic.  The only location
dimension that I have seen so far is in Horst Schach's book where he
gives the measurement from the top of the door (at the hinge) to the
underside of the horizontal top frame as 19 1/2". (I think that's the
number, my copy of his book is out at the moment.)

The side curtains that I have were purchased with a new top (both
Robbins) from Abingdon Spares in June, 1996.  Their fit has been this
way since day one.  I just didn't realize how bad it was until I
recently got a look at an extremely original TD that still has its
original top and curtains.  Then I looked at the photos in the Moss
catalog and realized how poorly mine fit.  As I said earlier, I never
drive the car with the top up.  I recently tried someone else's Robbins
side curtains and found the same thing -- they're too small.  I'm going
to try asking Robbins for their design dimensions.  Sorry to be so verbose.

Bud Krueger
52TD